Monday, March 17, 2014

8 Years Later

"Life's a long and winding ride, better have the right one by your side."

Eight years ago on St. Patricks Day 2006, I met my husband while riding around Lake St. Marys on a party bus. I didn't know if I should have felt flattered or weirded out by him telling all his friends that I was "his girl" all night long, especially since we just met each other! From that day on though, his charming personality swooped me up and I have been "his girl" ever since.

Eight years is a long time. We've had years where no one would have thought we would have remained together. We've not always treated each other with respect. We've questioned if we were right for one another many times. Yet, at the end of every day, there is no one else we would rather be with. We've been together through 4 pregnancies, the funeral of our daughter, and three miscarriages. We've lived in three cities, three apartments, and three houses together. We've remodeled one entire home together and now we are working on remodeling our second home together. We've both graduate from college twice since we've been together and rooted each other on all the way. We've been together through 4 eye surgeries. We've been with each other through my three job changes since graduating college, and Alex's three job promotions. We've been each other's best friend, biggest supporter, and shoulder to cry on. Despite how many times we've made each other angry and how many arguments we have gotten into over the last 8 years...there is no body else that I would want to call me "his girl."

It is true...life is a long a winding ride, so you better have the right one by your side. I don't know anyone who I would rather have by my side on this long journey to parenthood. Alex and I have everything we need really, except children. Ever since getting a kitten our daily conversations consist of telling each other about what Farrah did that day and how Farrah and Lucky (his mother's cat we are cat sitting) got along that day. I can't wait to have children to be even more excited about talking to my husband about their daily accomplishments and how proud we are of them. We are going to be great parents together...there's no doubt in my mind about that!

No comments: