Monday, February 10, 2014

Shuttin' 'em Down

On Thursday February 6th I started my first injectable medication-Lupron. Lupron is used to prevent my ovaries from releasing any eggs prior to having the egg retieval; In other words, shuttin' 'em down. I remember when we were in the "thinking about it" stage and just discussing the option of doing IVF with the Preimplantation Genetic Screening that I was terrified just thinking about injecting myself with medication. Now, I've been on blood thinning injections with my previous two pregnancies and would have been on those injections the entire way through had I been able to carry to term. Even though I knew how to inject myself, I hated them-they made my stomach burn and left bruises at the injection sites. I thought for sure the infertility medications would be the same.


In actuality-these first injections aren't bad at all! Granted this is the smallest needle I will use in the entire process, but there is no pain, burning, or bruising with these ones. This was very relieving since we were on vacation in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean on a cruise when I started this medication. The coolest thing of all, on our second day of injections-the last day of our cruise, we had to return to the cruise ship from the island we were at around noon to give myself the injection giving us only 3 hours that morning on the island, BUT I walked our on our balcony after I had given myself the injection and saw a beautiful rainbow right in front of me! Now, what makes this so cool is that the people we ate dinner with that night who remained at the island all day said it never rained over the island! Perhaps...this was a sign from God and our Angels that our Rainbow Baby is on it's way!



This coming Thursday will be my last dose of birth control but I will continue to take the Lupron injections up until the egg retrieval. I won't start stimulation medications until February 25th if all looks good at my first ultrasound on February 24th. So right now we are in a holding pattern. Day by day we are getting closer though!

2 comments:

Jamie Otteson said...

I am so excited for you both. I remember the conversations we had where you so wanted to be a mom and you are going to be a great mom. I can't wait to follow your story as your rainbow baby grows.

Unknown said...

Thanks for including your facebook friends in this very special life journey