Sunday, June 8, 2014

Testing, Testing, 1-2-3

It's been over 10 days since I wrote my last blog post. The last time I wrote was about comparing two clinics that my husband and I were trying to decide between. Well, we have chosen the clinic. Drumroll please............Bethesda Fertility Center with Dr. Hofmann is the winner!

We've accomplished a lot on this next endeavor on our baby quest since we decided to go with Dr. Hofmann. I am a week into the test cycle to see how my uterus responds to the medication I will be on during our actual egg donor IVF cycle. I started birth control last Sunday and I will start the Lupron injections on Wednesday, June 10th. My last birth control pill will be taken on June 18th and then I will start Estrace on June 23rd for 17 days, increasing the dose every 5 days until my ultrasound to check my uterine lining on July 7th. After we check my lining I will only be on Estrace 3 more days with the dose decreasing each day AND I will start Provera for 10 days to jump start my next menstrual period.

So for the test cycle, this is what my meds have cost us, and will cost us when we do our egg donor cycle:

Birth control pills: FREE(thank you OBAMA CARE)
Lupron injections: 145.00 (not covered by insurance)
Estrace: $55 (co-insurance)
Provera: $3.09 (co-insurance)

This is not bad at all for the meds. When we do our actual egg donor cycle, I won't be using Provera since the goal is to get pregnant and NOT to have another menstrual cycle for 10 months. The egg donor cycle itself will cost $11,872 for all of my sister's prescreening, injectable medications, monitoring ultrasounds and blood work, and egg retrieval with sedation. The fertilization will cost an additional $1400-$1900 depending on how many eggs are retrieved, and the embryo transfer will cost an additional $5170. For one egg donor IVF cycle we are looking at $18,650-$19,000 with everything except the embryo freezing and storage if we have any left to be able to do that with. We are hoping the risks we are taking with doing the one cycle with Dr. Hofmann will be a risk that was well worth it and hoping this is money well spent-since we are not doing the Money Back Guarantee program with Dr. Awadalla at Institute for Reproductive Health.

I am happy with the clinic we have chosen, and I know this is really our last chance at myself giving birth to a baby because my sister wouldn't go through this more than once anyways. It's a long process that takes a lot of her own life too.

On Tuesday I will be traveling down to Cincinnati to have the Saline Ultrasound completed by Dr. Hofmann to check my uterus to make sure there is no scar tissue or fibroids in my uterus from having two D&C's last year.

On July 19th me, my husband, and my sister will be traveling to Cincinnati again to have our psychological evaluations completed. My husband and I will meet with the psychologist for about an hour while my sister has to take a personality/psych assessment on the computer. When we are done, we will head to our doctor's office to have my husband's updated semen analysis done, meet with the Embryologist, meet with the financial coordinator, and also meet with the nurse to sign all of our consent paperwork while my sister stays with the psychologist to have her interview completed. We will be there from 8:30am-12:30pm...what a long day!

Other than all of that, we need to meet with a lawyer this summer to sign a legal contract with my sister and then most likely in August or September my sister will need to get all of her STD and hormone testing completed. My husband still needs to check with his new boss about when we can go to New York to meet with Dr. Braverman. I have a copy of all my labs from the testing we did with him-I just have NO CLUE how to interpret any of it! We are hoping to go to New York July 26th-July 29th because our 2 year anniversary is July 28th:) Plus, my best friend gets married August 2nd so I am already off work July 28th and August 1st for her bridal shower, bachelorette party, and wedding rehearsal....so I would just take the whole week off instead if we do go to New York the 26th-29th.

Lots of testing to get done this summer....but we are well on our way:)

No comments: