Monday, July 7, 2014

A Protocol that Works

My test cycle has officially come to an end...and I am so happy to say, IT WORKED! For the past two months my doctors have had me on the exact same medication that I will be on when we do our actually Egg Donor IVF cycle.

June 1st-June 19th: Birth control pills

June 11th-July 6th: Lupron injections

June 23rd-July 9th: Estrace pills (estrogen) with increasing dose every 4-5 days

Today I had my ultrasound to see how my uterus responded to this medication protocol. The goal was to get my uterine lining about 7 cm because in order for a baby to implant this is what the lining needs to be. Today my uterine lining measured 10 cm which is amazingly awesome! In my doctor's and nurse's words today, my uterus is "beautiful, retroverted or not." Of course with it being retroverted (tilted back like it always is), the resident didn't know where to find it but once it was found, it was all good:)

When we do our actual Egg Donor IVF cycle, I will have an ultrasound to check my lining just like I did today. The ultrasound will be on the day of my sister's egg retrieval, and if I respond the same way to the medication then as I did this time, the changes of an embryo implanting when we transfer on day 3 or 5 will be very high! This is very uplifting to hear.

The only concerns that I have about our Egg Donor IVF cycle not working is my Progesterone level and any other medical condition that may cause a miscarriage or stillbirth, like my Homocystinuria. But I am more than confident in the clinic that I am going to that we are going to get these issues figured out and will have a good treatment plan together before we start the IVF cycle. They listen to my concerns, which shows me right there they care and they are going to do everything they can to make this work. We find out the result of the testing that we had done with Dr. Braverman in New York at the end of this month and Dr. Hofmann at Bethesda Fertility Center where we are going for our treatment is more than willing to work with Dr. Braverman if there are any significant findings that we should treat to increase the potential for a successful pregnancy and happy, healthy baby. The nurse today told me they would be happy to check my progesterone level a few days after the embryo transfer to see if we need to increase my dose or supplement with another form of progesterone, which is very relieving so we aren't waiting until pregnancy test day to find out my progesterone is too low to maintain a baby. I am super pleased with my medical team and very confident that this is the right place for us!

Adding to why I love Bethesda Fertility Clinic so much, while I was sitting in the lobby waiting to be called back for my ultrasound, they had either K-Love or Air-1 radio on with christian rock music, my favorite music of all. It was very calming for me, and has always been my go-to music whenever I need to feel a calm or peace, or need to feel a sign that things are going to be okay. Dr. Hofmann walked out to the lobby to grab something for another patient and cheerfully greeted me and said as he was walking back into the office area, "I think I just saw angels, but I could be wrong." It was just me sitting in the lobby at that time...so either he was be super complimentary of me or my angel babies were there with me today! Either way, it was a peaceful beginning to my appointment today:)

So now I finish up my Estrace prescription, stop the injections, start the Provera, and in a few days will start my new menstrual cycle. I will be hormone free until October, which will be nice. Tomorrow I meet with an attorney to discuss the contract we need to have typed up and signed by me, my husband, and my sister so we should have all the legal stuff out of the way by the end of this month. And next week we go to Cincinnati to complete our psychological testing, my husband's sperm analysis, and will sign all the consents to get this party started! My sister's medical clearance testing should be the end of August, and after that...we are good to go! October will be here before we know it:)

4 comments:

Jamie Otteson said...

I am so happy for you and I will keep praying for you and your rainbow baby. I know he/she is coming soon and I can't wait to share in the journey that this blessing will be.

misty said...

Prayers your way

Unknown said...

So Happy For You too

Brianna said...

So, so, so happy that your lining was AWESOME and that you feel so confident and comfortable in the care you're receiving to make the cycle in October the best one yet!!!