Friday, February 6, 2015

Adventures of Alex and Lindsay

Our life is so hectic already! It seems like something is always happening.  Just when we think we are getting ahead, BOOM! Shit hits the fan again!

I will start with baby news first.  We made it to 13 weeks!! Second trimester, I'm coming after you:) In less than one week I can officially celebrate being apart of the second trimester....something I haven't been able to do for 7 years.  It feels pretty surreal right now.  This week I've experienced more nausea than I probably have the entire first trimester.  And I even threw up a bit, twice.  My sniffer has been super sensitive to the slighted smell....and foods, Oh em Gee! I had such a hard time eating this week because anything and everything smelled, looked, and tasted horrible to me. I remember having these issues when I was pregnant with Riley but I don't remember having food aversions until later in the second trimester.  The smell of chicken was horrendous.  We could not have chicken in the apartment.  It's funny how some of your favorite foods become your worst enemies during pregnancy!

In other pregnancy news, we got our professional first trimester pictures done over the weekend and I can't wait to share them with all of you! Hang tight for next weeks post....I will have the CD with the copyrights by then:) 

Now, besides making our way through each week of pregnancy, we've...well, my husband and dad, have been working hard on getting our upstairs renovation completed.  Over the last weekend we got our ceilings sprayed and bought the majority of the tile we need for our bathroom project.  I'm now working on picking out paint colors for the bathroom, master bedroom, and nursery.  We've been working on getting our taxes done and hoping we'd get enough back to be able to buy the furnishings, carpet, doors, and trim to complete these three rooms that we have to get done before the baby comes.  But of course....before we even finish our taxes our furnace decided go out on us, again.  And after some discussion with my husband we decided to bite the bullet and replace our 28 year old furnace with a new energy efficient furnace because this is the third time in two winters that it's gone out on us, plus it doesn't heat our house that well and uses an insane amount of gas every month.  We certainly were thinking about the baby when we made this decision.....we can't have our heat going out for days again when an infant in the home next winter! So before we could even submit our taxes...our entire refund has already been spent. 

Sometimes I get really down about how much debt my husband and I have from all our medical expenses and college tuition and credit card bills.  I get really discouraged when it feels like we are finally coming into some money and before it even lands in our bank account it's already spent.  I bitch and moan about how we are barely surviving and how as soon as we start to get ahead and make good decisions with our finances, something happens and we get set back again.  But a co-worker said something to me this week that made me take a step back and analyze our financial situation differently.  He said "at least you have had the money to spend."  It made me realize that God really is taking care of us.  He is providing for what we need when we need it.  We are getting just enough back from our taxes to cover the majority of the cost of our new furnace.  We had just enough room on our credit cards to pay for our first IVF cycle along with the grant we got from Baby Quest to pay for all the medications.  My husbands new job allowed him to pull out of his retirement early and it was just enough to pay for the remainder of our second IVF cycle along with the money we raised through our golf tournament fundraiser.  We found out three weeks ago that our tenants are moving out of our home in Columbus that they have been renting for the past two years. They bought a house this week and we have to meet them tomorrow to get the keys from them.  I was really upset at first because the thought of paying two mortgages and losing $500 a month in income was scary to say the least.  But my husband got a pretty nice bonus from work today and it's enough to cover the second mortgage and utilities for a few months while we try to sell the house.  So tomorrow we also meet with a realtor and put our Columbus home on the market.  We hope to make a nice profit off the sale since we did a lot of remodeling to the home when we lived in it. Of course it sucks to once again use the bonus money that we had other plans for on something we weren't expecting to have to deal with right now....but in the end we may come out on top if our house sells rather quickly. 

I guess the moral of today's post is that I am grateful that we've never really been in a situation where we couldn't pay for what we needed.  We've questioned our ability at times, and our adventures aren't usually fun ones to sort our way through....but somehow things always fall into place.  God always delivers, and for that I am thankful. 


No comments: