Friday, August 29, 2014

I made a mistake because I am Human

I have posted 73 blog entries prior to this one. All of which are about our journey to parenthood through the loss of our stillborn daughter and three first trimester miscarriages and through our failed IVF with PGD cycle and now on to our egg donor cycle. While yesterday's blog post was not the most read post out of all 73 entries, it certainly had the most comments both good and bad. The majority of the negative commentary was on the blog itself but some where on Facebook as well. I feel the need to address this today.

Reading back through yesterday's entry I realize how selfish I sounded. I did not talk about the other vehicle that I hit, making it sound like I was only worried about myself in this accident that I was the cause of. So I will start there. Here is a picture of the type of truck that I hit:


As you can see, this thing is a monster compared to my car. I am guessing my car actually went underneath the truck when I hit it. After the accident, when I got out of my vehicle and was having my panic attack, I was apologizing profusely to the two guys that were in the truck. Neither one of them had any injuries. By the grace of God we were all able to walk away with all of our limbs and our lives and their truck had very little damage-maybe a dent in the back fender from what I can remember. The guys were super nice to me and had to continue to tell me "these things happen-it could have been worse" because I could not stop crying and apologizing.

For the past three days I keep replaying this accident in my head. I keep beating myself up for making such a stupid decision with the eye liner. I keep thanking God that this did not turn out any worse than me having to get a new car when I really liked the car I had. When it all happened I kept thinking I have the most terrible luck ever...but in all reality I know I am extremely lucky that I did not hit a vehicle that had children in it or caused any injuries to anyone involved.

When I started my blog I vowed to myself that this would be a place where I would express myself in the most honest way possible. I said I wouldn't sugar coat anything. I am not proud of my actions, yet I was honest about them and I owned up to the horrible mistake that I made. Humility and Honesty go a long way and say a lot about a person. I am humiliated by my actions that caused the accident and I will take this experience and become a more responsible person because of it.

I know a lot of the comments came from a personal place. People told me about times when they were hit by another car and the severe injuries that the other person caused them because they were not paying attention or a family member who was killed in an accident. I appreciate you sharing those stories with me, but what I do not appreciate are the comments from people saying I should not have children because I am irresponsible and careless. That is taking things way to far.

We all have personal experiences that shape our feelings and actions. For example, I've lost 4 babies and I think abortion is a horrible thing. But I will never EVER call someone who has had an abortion a Baby Killer or tell them they don't deserve to have any future children because they chose to get rid of one they could have had. I also get angry that women who use drugs their entire pregnancy can seem to be able to pop out one kid after another and I've never done drugs or smoked cigarettes and can't seem to have even one child. But I would never EVER tell them they are a worthless POS mother who doesn't deserve the children she has.

For those of you that do not know me and my story but have passed judgement on me for my bad driving habits-shame on you. No one in this world is perfect. I know that I for one, am not. I know I make a lot of mistakes. I also know that I choose to learn from my mistakes. And more importantly I know I make a lot of selfless choices too and those who truly know me know that about me. I am not defined by what I did this week. I am not a criminal. I am human. And I am resilient. And I am constantly learning how to be better.

You are also not defined by a single one mistake that you have made. You have good qualities and you have bad qualities. We all do. I choose not to judge others based on one thing they did, but based on numerous things they have done. I would hope others would judge me the same way.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another pity party.

Amy Grillot said...

You are absolutely right, Lindsay!! No one is perfect and those who are passing judgement should open up their closet and watch all of the skeletons fall out! As for the comment previously made to this post...you can make a nasty comment but you can't leave your name...hmmmm


P.S. Good luck tomorrow- I am sure I you will have a wonderful turnout!

Anonymous said...

I support you, Lindsay! I'm so glad everyone is ok and that this is a learning experience for you.

Ashley Slife said...

Your are one messed up individual I see Noone asking for a pitty party she feels she needs to explain her self when in all reality she don't Noone is perfect things happen thank god it wasn't much worse ...you must be having your own issues to try and belittle her .you must feel like a price of shit for something you've done and just want to make someone else feel like crap....or your just a coward and can't even comment with your name and feel the need to talk trash about someone when you have no idea what they go through on a daily basis

Shauna Snyder said...

I don't understand why someone would feel the need to belittle someone then hide their name. I'm sure you wouldn't say this to her face in public, but the internet makes you feel powerful. Your opinion doesn't define her. At least she was honest. People are complicated. I'm woman enough to admit I've made huge mistakes too and I didn't hide behind a mask to do it. I owned it and learned. Troll is what you are, hidden person feeling so powerful. You have been weighed and measured. What you say says more about you than it does Lindsay.

Unknown said...

To my ladies who know me and back my integrity...thank you! You all rock:) And I have enough self-respect to know that what this person says does not make a difference in my life. Clearly she/he is intrigued enough about my life they feel the need to read my blog, Otherwise, they could ignore it.

Dorothea said...

Beautifully said. If more people could accept that we are all human and allowed to make mistakes, and all that other great stuff that you said, the world would be a much better place. I know far too many people who think it is their place to judge others 24-7 and boy are they not nice to be around!

justine said...

trying to sign in

justine said...

OK!!! NOW i can sign in - The person who commented - I'm talking to you!!! I want to meet you face to face!! Someone who I call a bully because they hate their life - I eat bullies for breakfast! So! one day I know someone will meet you on the street and you will get back what you give you coward!

Brianna said...

I am so sorry that people responded to your last post in such a judgmental way. This is your space and you should be allowed to write what you want when you want to write it. I wrote one post on my own blog that I questioned turning comments off, I didn't, and I got some comments that were not supportive at all. And isn't that why we blog, to find support and not more criticism and judgment?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoNoura said...

Sounds like another internet troll wants some attention.